onsdag den 22. februar 2012

Claypot rice

Spending so much time with my parents also meant I neglected socializing with most other people here in Hong Kong. So tonight I spent time with my two room mates, from USA and Hong Kong respectively, having claypot rice in Tai Po.

Located one stop north of University, I had yet to explore Tai Po. It has no real tourist attractions and it is not located close to the main city (such as Yau Ma Tei). Most students go there to visit the 5-story high food mall, but seeing as I cannot be bothered to cook this semester, it is not really my thing.

A 10 minute walk took us from the train station into central Tai Po and the restaurant, a small, family owned place on the corner of a narrow street. It was packed, everything was in Chinese, so my friend just ordered us his favourite. Claypot rice is, as the name suggests, cooked rice with vegetables and meat in a small clay pot. You get the whole pot served in front of you, and before you eat, you scoop soy sauce into the pot and cover it up again for a couple of minutes to let the rice soak it up. When reaching the bottom of the pot, the rice is slightly burnt and crispy. It is delicious, and totally worth the 140 dollars we paid for three pots and a round of beer.

Having a local friend is probably one of the things I feel most fortunate about. His underground view of the city, all the ins and outs, as well as what to do and where to go, is priceless. I would never have found that place on my own, giving me the feeling that I learnt something new about Hong Kong, and it is also refreshing not to have cantine food once in a while. Next week we'll have Dim Sum in town - I can't wait.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar